Here is a fun guest post from HTHG reader Angela Johnson! She put together 5 inventive ways to rock a ribbon in your hair.
“Out of the ash / I rise with my red hair / And I eat men like air.” I’ve always loved this quote from Sylvia Plath’s Lady Lazarus, not because of the men eating part, but because it inspires me to get creative, and embrace whatever attitude I want to have about my hair.
Using ribbon in your hairstyles will help you achieve the look you want, while giving a powerful statement. Whether you are going for the sweet girl next-door or the vintage pin-up look, using ribbon has never been so easy.
Before you begin, you will need to collect a variety of ribbon sizes and colors. I like to buy bulk ribbon from HairBow Center, because well, let’s just say I’m obsessed with ribbon! I use it in my hair almost every day!
1. Tie the ribbon around a loose, messy bun. This works best with mid-length to longer hair that has been straightened. I like to clip the bangs up (while still leaving some volume), then hide the clip with the ribbon. Finish with a firm hold hairspray. This is look is easy to achieve and adds a touch of glam and professionalism to any style.
2. Tie a perfect bow around a half-up pony tail. This one is even easier than the last, so if you don’t have a lot of time, this one is for you. Spray some dry shampoo into the roots for extra volume and to absorb any oils. For a more glamorous look, curl the hair with a large curling iron before placing your ribbon over the hair tie. Finish with a medium hold hairspray to complete this angelic look.
3. Weave a smaller ribbon through your braid. Once you have the braid done, just lift it up and use a bobby pin to secure the ribbon near the base of your neck. Pull the ribbon through each hole in the braid, sort of like lacing up a shoe. This is so easy and you end up with a messy, bohemian look. Try it with a French braid if you are feeling skillful.
4. Use a ribbon as a headband, but spice it up by also wrapping it around a braid. This will work for hair shoulder length and longer of nearly any texture. Start the french braid near your ear and keep braiding loosely until you nearly reach your other ear, then tie it into a pony tail. Next, take the ribbon at it’s center and place it behind your bangs and underneath your braid / ponytail. Wrap the ribbon around the hair tie and make a bow for a modern yet sophisticated look.
5. Transform into a pin-up girl with a vintage looking ponytail. If your hair is naturally wavy, scrunch it with some mousse and diffuse dry. For hair with tighter curls, you may want to blow dry and use your iron to get loose curls. Curl your bangs under or wrap longer bangs to create the fake fringe look. Put up hair into a pony at the crown of your head. Choose a thicker, red ribbon that matches your red lipstick. Tie a loose, big bow and get ready for to accept some compliments.
Angela Johnson loves crafting, scrapbooking and playing Barbies with her four year old daughter. When she is not exploring her creativity with ribbons and bottle cap crafts, she writes and reads poetry.