I posted this hairstyle on my Instagram the other day and you guys loved it, so I made it into a video. Once you understand and have practiced this hairdo, it literally takes 2 minutes to do. To get the feel of a rope braid, watch this basic video that breaks down the technique.
Just a little side note…..I amaze myself with how willing I am to appear before you in all my sloppy scrubby mom-ness in these videos. I often feel like I should polish up and make the lighting right, and be cute and coy and wear makeup for you and use shine spray. But it ain’t never gonna happen. This blog is not about me looking pretty, it is about you having fun with your hair. So sit your butt down and try this one. Practice it, master it, keep it in your bag of favorite hair tricks. Add a floral wreath to it, or just garnish it with flowers in general. This hairstyle is fit for a regal queen, a hippie wedding, or a twisted angel outcast.
1. Begin by making 3 vertical sections. One on each side, and one in the back. There should be roughly the same amount of hair in each section.
2. Snake twist each section, and secure the ends with clear elastics.
3. Now wrap the middle twist into a bun. Not too tight, you want to be able to see all the twists. Pin the bun into place, making sure to tuck in and hide the end.
4. Now take one of your side twists and wrap it over the top of the bun and around, pinning it into place. Make sure you pin it anywhere it feels un-secure. Take the other twist, and wrap it underneath the bun and around the other way. Pin it into place, and make sure the tails are tucked in and hidden.
Okay, I know the topsy-tail is kinda 1991, but it just looks so cool that I had to use the technique in a pretty ponytail. You remember the topsy-tail right? It’s that little trick where you reach through the top of the base of your ponytail and pull the ends through so it makes a pretty twist on both sides. Here is a demo.
This super classy and dynamic ponytail involves 2 topsy tails, and a low side ponytail with a wrapped base. Happy #DIYhair Friday, everyone. Here is how to get this hairstyle.
1. Make a circular section at the crown of the head. Put it into a ponytail with a clear elastic.
2. Topsy tail that ponytail.
3. Make another ponytail from behind both ears across the back of the head, leaving underneath hair out. This ponytail should also include the ends of the first pony.
4. Topsy tail that ponytail. Now take a minute to gently pull the sides of both topsy tails a little bit to soften and loosen them. Now gather the rest of all the hair into a low side ponytail.
5. Take a small strip of hair from within the ponytail and wrap it tightly around the base.
6. Use a bobby pin to pin the end of the wrapped piece underneath the ponytail so you can’t see it.
7. Arrange your pretty lady parts around your face.
Here is a nice little hairstyle I put together a while back that is PERFECT for Valentines day. It is soft, pretty, and romantic. Here is the tutorial for it (although it is a slightly different version.) You can follow that tutorial to get the gist, and just make your twisty bun sections smaller so that they look more intricate.